Sunday, September 23, 2007

Front Suspension Dramas

Hey guys - ive had gearbox issues with my car for quite some time, and we finally nailed down the cause.

The Front springs in my car are far too soft - (approx 180lb we think). This allows passenger side driveshaft to be able to move upwards far enough to touch the housing on the outer edge of the gearbox - causing huge dramas.

Its also caused me (on more than one occasion) to explode tripoid joints in the gearbox.

SO .. the fix .. (we hope).

I have bought a coilover conversion kit, which consists of - an alloy threaded sleeve, with a spring platform, and locking ring, a top hat, some grub screws, o rings, and two different height springs.

I use early X19 rear shocks in the front of my 128 with KYB Inserts. The alloy collar slips over the original shock, which gives you a new base for the smaller diameter coilover springs.

After installing, my car has raised up about 65mm from its previous ride height (far less than desirable), so this weeks task is to figure out where we can get 65mm of ride height back.

Heres some pretty pics.






No comments: